The Municipality of Larissa plays a coordinating role between various local authorities, public bodies, social organizations, and volunteers managing immigrants welfare.  The city is the designated coordinator of a local network of volunteers including both organizations (public and NGOs) and individuals approved by the relative national ministry.  With the High Commission for Refugees it has taken steps for the education of the staff that manages the affairs relative with the refugee center.     


Services and activities that the Municipality provides for the refugees include: Nursery school for refugees in Koutsochero, lessons in Greek language, creative activities for the children (arts and crafts projects, museum visits, theater play,..), football academy in cooperation with local gymnasts, taking steps towards refugee children attending local schools, promoting the connections between the refugees and the residents of the village Koutsochero, encouraging elderly residents to get involved in different activities within the center, urban accommodation for refugees via the ESTIA program in  cooperation with the UN Refugee Agency, funded by the European Union Civil  Protection and Humanitarian Aid – for the Municipality of Larissa. Few services are digital.             


Service 1: Certification of Nationality

Description of the service: All non-Greek citizens that want to have a Greek nationality must address the Municipality and make a request to obtain a Certification of Nationality. The person interested must be accompanied by two witnesses and should carry his/her id card or passport, birth certificate officially translated. Once he/she gets this Certification along with other documentation requested, the applicant submits its Official Request for Gaining Greek Nationality to the Greek State.

Service 2: Certification of Residence

Description of the service: The presence of immigrants in the area means that the requests for asylum have also increased. As part of this procedure, the Municipality provides a Certification of residence. In order to provide such a certification, various documents are requested such as an official certification for the VAT number, passport, Social Services Identification Number, certification from the camp where the beneficiary lives.